Dental Implants are artificial tooth roots that are implanted into the jawbone using a simple and painless procedure. They are made of medically pure titanium, a metal that fuses with bone and creates a secure foundation over a period few months. The foundation is then completed and secured with the addition of a small pillar or abutment. Natural-looking porcelain crowns are then fitted over the pillar, to create a stable and strong tooth which mimics the look and function of real teeth. The final product will blend in perfectly with your natural teeth in shape, size, colour and fit.
In some cases, instead of an artificial tooth, a dental implant can also be fitted with special attachments (similar press studs) to hold a denture. The studs will minimise movement of the denture.
Why choose a Dental Implant?
- Aesthetically they support teeth that look like real teeth and functionally they feel and act like real teeth.
- Unlike bridges they do not require the cutting and reshaping of neighbouring healthy teeth.
- You can eat and chew without pain or irritation.
- They maintain your bone structure and support your facial tissues by preventing bone loss in the jaw.
- They eliminate the hollow and collapsed cheeks that result in facial cosmetic changes which often occur after teeth extractions.
- They eliminate the need for dentures and all of their discomforts such as bulkiness etc.