Wisdom Teeth Removal in Melton
At Melton Dental, your comfort and oral health are our top priorities. We understand that some patients have dental anxiety and having your wisdom teeth removed can be a source of fear and discomfort. Rest assured that our gentle team is dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming environment where you can feel at ease throughout the procedure.
Our team of highly experienced dental professionals has been smoothly performing wisdom tooth extractions for many years. We are qualified to perform sleep dentistry techniques and utilise state-of-the-art facilities to ensure your experience with us is as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
What are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom Teeth are the last set of teeth (molars) that come in as a natural part of your mouth development. Wisdom teeth usually erupt between the ages of 18 to 24 years of age. While the average person has four wisdom teeth erupt, some may have just one, two, three or none at all.
Your wisdom teeth may cause trouble as they grow and develop in each corner of your mouth, causing sudden and severe pain. The main reason for this is the lack of space in your mouth to accommodate your wisdom teeth. When there is not enough room, they cause misalignment of teeth or become impacted, meaning they grow at an angle or do not fully emerge past the gum line.
Symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth include:
- Pain and swelling
- Swollen or bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Headaches, earaches or jaw aches
- Unpleasant taste in your mouth
Why Do You Need to Remove Wisdom Teeth?
The following complications may arise from impacted or partially erupted Wisdom Teeth:
- Increased risk of tooth decay from saliva, bacteria and food particles collecting around the impacted wisdom tooth. It can affect the adjacent teeth, and it can be difficult to remove such decay, causing pain and infection.
- Gum infection leads to bad breath, pain, swelling, and the inability to open your mouth fully. The disease can spread to involve the cheek and neck.
- Pressure pain. Pain may also arise from the pressure of the erupting wisdom tooth against other teeth.
- Cyst formation. A cyst (fluid-filled sac) can develop from the soft tissue around an impacted wisdom tooth. Cysts cause bone destruction, jaw expansion, and displacement or damage to nearby teeth.
- Prosthetic reasons. Patients who are to have dentures constructed should have any impacted wisdom teeth removed to prevent the possibility of them erupting under the denture and causing severe irritation.
Impacted wisdom teeth are almost sure to cause problems if not removed. This is particularly true of the lower wisdom teeth. Such problems may occur suddenly and often at the most inconvenient times e.g. just before a VCE examination or a wedding!
It is recommended that impacted wisdom teeth be removed as soon as possible, whether they are causing pain or not. Surgery is technically easier and patients recover much more quickly when they are younger. Also in younger patients, there is a reduced risk of complications, as the healing process is faster and more efficient.
Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal
Removing an impacted wisdom tooth can bring several benefits:
- Relieves pain and eliminates discomfort
- Reduces the risk of infection and cysts
- Reduces the risk of damage to adjacent teeth
- Improved oral hygiene
- Prevents crowding
- Eliminates jaw pain and headaches
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure
Wisdom teeth removal at Melton Dental is easy, safe & pain-free! This simple procedure involves the following steps:
- First, we administer a local anesthetic or sleep dentistry techniques to ensure you are comfortable and experience minimal discomfort during the procedure.
- An incision will be made in the gum tissue to access the wisdom tooth.
- After the tooth is extracted, the area will be cleaned, and stitches will be placed to help with the healing process.
- Finally, we will apply a layer of sterile gauze over the extraction site. This helps promote blood clot formation and prevents a condition known as dry socket, which can delay the healing process. The gauze serves as a protective barrier and provides support for the blood clot, allowing for a smooth and speedy recovery.
We will then guide you on how to care for the extraction site and manage any discomfort or swelling. We highly recommend having someone accompany you home after the procedure as the effects of anaesthesia may take some time to wear off.
Wisdom Tooth Removal Cost in Melton
The cost of removing your wisdom teeth depends on several factors. The number of wisdom teeth, the type of sedation used and the complexity of the extraction can all affect the cost. At Melton Dental, we provide you with accurate costs when you come in for your consultation. We will also take you through our payment options and flexible payment plans during your visit.
Melton’s Trusted Dental Care. Your Smile Specialists
Melton Dental is a state-of-the-art dental practice that stands as a beacon of excellence in dental healthcare. Our modern clinic is designed to make every visit a stress-free one. We’re equipped with the latest dental technology, from digital imaging to painless anesthesia systems to ensure precision, safety, and efficiency.
From the moment you walk through our doors, you’ll be greeted by our compassionate and friendly team with warm smiles and genuine care. We stay on top of cutting-edge techniques and advancements to offer you the most advanced treatment options available.
Your dental needs are as unique as you are, that’s why we offer a wide range of dental services to address every aspect of your oral health care. Including general dentistry, children’s dentistry, sedation dentistry, and much more. Give us a call to schedule your appointment!