Root Canal Treatment
Save Your Smile With
A Root Canal Treatment
Do you have a painful tooth infection?
Our skilled dentists here at Melton Dental Group specialise in performing root canal treatment, a highly effective procedure to halt the spread of infection and protect your teeth from further damage or needing to be removed.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal is a popular treatment for people with severely damaged teeth. In order to understand the treatment, allow us to first explain your dental anatomy. The soft centre of the tooth is known as the dental pulp. This is made up of connective tissue, nerves, and blood supply, extending deeper into the roots of your tooth. Once damaged or a neglected infection has spread to your pulp, this is a painful condition that has limited treatment options.
Root canal treatment is the best and safest treatment available to save your natural tooth. It works by our experienced dentists carefully removing the infected pulp and cleaning the root canal. Once the tooth is thoroughly cleaned and sealed, a crown is placed over the tooth for extra protection and to ensure your tooth stays strong and healthy for years to come.
Common Causes of Infection of the Pulp
- Deep cavity
- Gum disease
- Repeated dental work on a tooth
- Break down of filling/crown
- Cracked/chipped tooth
- Extreme wear and tear (Grinding/Bruxism)
Signs You Need a Root Canal
Deep cavities, dental trauma, or issues from dental restorations usually give way to a few common symptoms that might indicate a need for a root canal. While also indications of other oral health issues, here are the signs you should watch out for:
- Pain when chewing/biting
- Sensitivity to hot/cold, even after sensation has been removed
- Swollen gums
- Darkening of the gums
- Pimples forming on the gums
- Pus around a tooth
- Discolouration of a tooth
- Swelling of the face or jaw
If left untreated, the infection could worsen into an abscess at the root of the tooth, leading to the deterioration of the underlying bone and making it impossible to save your natural tooth! In severe cases where the infection spreads to neighbouring teeth, individuals may experience illness, fever, or swelling of the face and neck.
Benefits Of Root Canal Treatment
A root canal treatment helps save your natural tooth without having to extract it. This provides a range of benefits, including:
- Relieves pain caused by an infected tooth
- Prevent further serious infections
- Prevents jawbone deterioration from a lost tooth
- Protects problems from shifting teeth
- Makes chewing and biting efficient
- More cost-effective than alternatives like tooth extraction and replacement
- Saves your natural smile, and nothing will ever look, feel or function like natural teeth!
Our Root Canal Treatment Process
Our gentle and highly experienced dentists here at Melton Dental will handle your root canal treatment with the utmost care and precision. We understand that undergoing a dental procedure can be daunting, which is why we prioritise your comfort and well-being throughout the process.
Root canal treatment is a simple procedure that takes place over the course of 1 to 3 sessions at the dentist, depending on the severity of the pulp infection!
- Local anesthetic is administered to ensure you experience minimal discomfort.
- The affected tooth is isolated with a thin rubber sheet. (called a ‘rubber dam’)
- The decayed portions of the tooth, any affected filling, and the infected pulp are removed.
- Special instruments are used to thoroughly clean and shape the root canals and remove remaining bacteria, pus, and debris.
- The root canal is flushed with disinfectants and dried whilst antibiotic medication is placed in the canals.
- The infection-free root canal is sealed with durable rubber-based material, and the tooth is sealed with a temporary filling.
- A crown may be placed over your tooth for further protection.
Root Canal Treatment Cost in Melton
The cost of root canal treatment can depend on several factors, such as the complexity of the procedure and the location of the tooth. Our dentists will provide you with an accurate estimate of treatment costs at your initial consultation, and you can even opt to pay for your treatment with our flexible payment options.
Root Canal Treatment Aftercare
Recovery time can vary but on average, you can expect to heal within just a few days! Slight inflammation is perfectly normal for the first few days and can be treated with a warm, saltwater rinse or over-the-counter pain relievers. Soft, cold foods are recommended to avoid damaging your treated tooth. We also recommend avoiding spicy foods, and hot beverages, and consuming alcohol during this week. And make sure to stick to a consistent oral hygiene routine! All you need to do is brush gently with fluoride toothpaste, at least twice a day.
Our dentists at Melton Dental Group use years of expertise and the latest technology to give you the best dental care available. Have a damaged tooth? Call us, and we’ll make sure your dental health is in the safest hands.